NYC Poison Control Center
The New York City Poison Control Center (NYCPCC) was established in 1955 by the New York City Department of Health. As one of the first poison control centers in the country, it was instrumental in establishing methods whereby poisoning information could be offered as a service to health professionals and to the public. The NYCPCC primarily serves the New York City metropolitan area. In 1955, the center received 2,908 calls; in 1973, 37,000 calls; in 1979, 57,285; and the volume currently exceeds 70,000 calls/year. Approximately 65-70% of the calls are from the public, with the remainder from health care providers. Approximately one-third of the calls are from outside the New York City area.
The NYCPCC has recently completed an expansion and complete renovation of its 3600 square foot facility, including the installation of state-of-the-art computer and phone systems. The PCC is housed in the Public Health Laboratories building at 455 First Avenue, which also maintains several of the clinical laboratories for the City of New York. In addition, the NYCPCC maintains a basic science research laboratory and a facility for small animal research, both located in the same building as the NYCPCC itself.